A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to product design and software engineering. Every day our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
NPR Visuals is looking for a civic-minded technical leader and developer to join our team. You will write software that matters, inspire our team, and work in close collaboration with the fantastic reporters and editors in our newsroom.
Our team is composed of developers, designers, photo and video journalists. You will have to work quickly in a dynamic environment. Making software on deadlines is difficult – there’s no room for cruft and little margin for error. You will encounter new problems every day and will wear many hats, as a data wrangler, web developer, innovator, architect, etc. We are always open to new tools and teammates who bring experience with different technologies and disciplines.
We’re looking for someone who can…
- Translate editorial goals into sustainable applications and infrastructure.
- Work with developers and designers on our team, as well as reporters and editors throughout the newsroom, to design and build NPR’s news coverage.
- Maintain up-to-date technical documentation using consistent and reusable practices.
- Provide leadership and coaching to teammates and colleagues.
- Troubleshoots and analyzes system problems and looks for areas of improvement with existing and new applications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of industry or related experience.
- Experience with Python and familiarity with Python web frameworks such as Flask or Django and Fabric.
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services and provisioning AWS resources using the console, CLI and API.
- Comfort developing across the full stack of a web application. You might be a stronger backend developer, but you must also be able to write code that runs in a browser.
- Experience developing software projects using the Git version control system.
- Adaptability to work across different/new technology stacks.
- Solid news judgment. You can think of software in terms of the information needs of the audience.
How to apply
Does this sound like you? If so, we’d like to hear from you. Apply now! All applications must include a resume, cover letter and Github profile to be considered.